Thursday 17 May 2012

Day 8 - RED


So today when I think of the colour red I'm reminded of my favourite building in Hobart city....the old Savings Bank on Murray Street. First of all I just love this little row of buildings because they remind me of London so much. This photo doesn't really show it but the iron railings and the floor below street level are just what you'd find in any London city street. I also love this building because of the bright red awnings....though apparently they caused quite a stir when they first appeared! This building is now a private residence owned by some businessman from Sydney (insert jealous sigh here - why isn't this my house!! LOL!!) He added these awnings much to the disgust of the heritage people who were outraged at his additions to a heritage listed building. So a poll was conducted in the local paper (The Mercury) and it was found that whilst they weren't impressed, the Tassie locals loved them! I have no idea how he won in the end as apparently he installed them illegally, but there they still are and I can't help but turn to look at this building whenever I am driving by :)

(You can read the original article in the Mercury here).

No comments:

Post a Comment